Tuesday, September 25, 2012

New Albums

From now through November, there are more new albums coming out than I can handle! Between all the new music and Fall TV starting up, I'm going to be very busy! Here are newer albums that have been in my rotation.

 
Passion Pit, Gossamer

I love Passion Pit. When I first heard them a few years back, Michael's crazy voice kind of surprised me. Now, I'm not sure how I could have ever not loved them. Every time I listen to Gossamer, I like it more. I'd be surprised at this point if you haven't heard their new single "Take A Walk", but if you haven't...


Other highlights include: "I'll Be Alright", "Constant Conversations", "Carried Away".



Mumford & Sons, Babel

The new Mumford & Sons album is out today! Luckily, I was able to find a leaked copy online last week. And, as to be expected, I already love and know most of it. If you keep track of Mumford at all, then you've probably already heard half of their new songs. They've been playing select new songs live for almost two years now -- (I heard about 4 or 5 of them back at Bonnaroo in 2011). But, if you haven't heard any of them yet, then today is Christmas for you. Go get the album.

I posted the video for their new single "I Will Wait" a few days ago, so here is one of my other new favorites:

"Lover of the Light" - kind of sounds like Dave Matthews Band at times, doesn't it?

Other highlights include: "Babel", "Hopeless Wanderer", "Below My Feet".



Silversun Pickups, Neck Of The Woods

I don't know why more people don't love the Silversun Pickups. Brian, the lead singer, has one of the coolest voices I've ever heard. It sounds so raspy and whispered. My first impression of Neck Of The Woods wasn't the best, but I changed my tune quickly. I'm surprised I wasn't crazy about it before because I quite like it now. 

"The Pit"

Other highlights include: "Bloody Mary (Nerve Endings)", "Dots and Dashes (Enough Already)", "Mean Spirits".


The Avett Brothers, The Carpenter

I don't know anyone that does not have a soft spot for The Avett Brothers. Instead, I know people who have seen The Avett Brothers over a half a dozen times. I've gotten to see them twice now - Bonnaroo this Summer and at Virginia Tech last fall. I feel like I'd probably need to see them 10 times just to finally hear all of the songs I'd want to hear! At any rate, The Carpenter is out now. Before I say anything else, let me just say that I'm not crazy about country music. I think that, at times, certain songs on the new album sound just a bit too much country for my tastes - like the first song, "The Once And Future Carpenter". I mean, it's pretty. His voice is pretty. The music is pretty. Just a little too country for me. I can't quite relate with lyrics like "Once I was a carpenter, man my hands were calloused. I could swing a metal mallet sure and straight". But you know, it is what it is. 

"Live And Die"

I do hope that the album grows on me more over time because it would make me very sad to not like it. 

Other highlights include: "February Seven", "Down With The Shine", "I Never Knew You"


The xx, Coexist

Admittedly, The xx is an acquired taste, but if you are a fan of The xx then you will like Coexist. The xx always gets flack for being too slow, too drab, too quiet, yadda yadda. I think that they are brilliant. With The xx, it's not about how many instruments you have, it's what you do with the ones you've got. They're a band of both simplicity and detail. Their voices go together so well. If you like them, you'll probably love them. If you don't like them, you'll probably hate them.

"Chained"

Other highlights include: "Angels", "Fiction", "Sunset".



Regina Spektor, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats

I just love Regina Spektor, although I don't know many girls around my age that don't. Her new album sounds more produced to me than her prior albums, but in a mostly good way. I think this one might take just a little while to grow on me a bit more, but let's be real - I know I'll like anything Regina ever does.

"How"

Other highlights include: "All Of The Rowboats", "Ballad Of A Politician", "Small Town Moon".
























No comments:

Post a Comment